Associate Chief Justice Hamilton
Associate Chief Justice Hamilton was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, to the late Judge F.A.E. Hamilton of the Winnipeg Juvenile Court and Aleda Hamilton, and attended Grosvenor, Robert H. Smith and Kelvin High School. He and his wife Lorna have four adult children. After some time in the Canadian Infantry he attended United College and the Manitoba Law School, graduating in 1950. He practiced law in Winnipeg, Roblin, Melita, and Brandon between 1951 and 1971, was appointed Queens Counsel in 1968, and was a Bencher of the Law Society of Manitoba. His main areas of practice were civil litigation and criminal defence.
While in Brandon he was the President of the Chamber of Commerce, founding President of the Brandon branch of the John Howard and Elizabeth Fry Society, a founding Board member of the Indian and Métis Friendship Centre and was a member of the District and Division school boards. He was the founding President of MAST (Manitoba Association of School Trustees).
He was appointed to the Manitoba Court of Queens Bench in 1971, and as Associate Chief Justice of the Family Division (Manitobas new Unified Family Court) in 1983. In that position he was a member of the Canadian Judicial Council. (Chief Justice Hamilton took early retirement in 1993 to do mediation and to work on Aboriginal issues).
|Manitoba Government Home Page|